Re: Release candidate

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: Release candidate
Date: 14 May 2001 14:32:13 +0200

| There is still the problem that autoconf mixes up variable assignments
| and macros.  This is up-to-the-minute CVS autoconf:
|
|         address@hidden configure.in
|         AC_INIT
|
|         AM_CFLAGS=foo
|         address@hidden
|         configure.in:3: error: undefined macro: AM_CFLAGS
|         address@hidden

I'm afraid nothing can be done against this but declaring to Autoconf
what are the names you will use.   CVS Automake declares them:

# Autoconf 2.50 wants to disallow AM_ names.  We explicitly allow
# the ones we care about.
ifdef([m4_pattern_allow],
      [m4_pattern_allow([^AM_(C|CPP|CXX|OBJC|F|R|GCJ)FLAGS])])dnl

Actually, I'm OK with moving the prohibition of AM from Autoconf to
Automake.  Tom?  This implies Autoconf will no longer barf on bad uses
of 1.4 macros, but CVS Automake will be OK.