Re: release Autoconf?

From: Ralf Corsepius
Subject: Re: release Autoconf?
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 11:12:13 +0200

"Lars J. Aas" wrote:

> On Thu, May 10, 2001 at 05:06:33PM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> : FWIW: I am also seeing random problems related to AC_PROG_CPP
> : (AC_PROG_CPP picking up /lib/cpp if using a cross-compiler,
> : sometimes I see AC_PROG_CPP being invoked twice). Unfortunately I am
>
> Autoconf has always been good at picking /lib/cpp for the preprocessor :)
> It should definitely be fixed, but it's nothing new (other than that the
> bug may have taken on another shape than before).
You are probably right, I recall having worked around this issue by
* reordering AC_PROG_CPP at different places for different versions
of autoconf
* having to preset CPP.

AFAIS, one cause for this to happen at all, is presence of /lib/cpp
in this fragment from AC_PROG_CPP:

   # Double quotes because CPP needs to be expanded
    for CPP in "$CC -E" "$CC -E -traditional-cpp" "/lib/cpp"
    do
      _AC_PROG_PREPROC_WORKS_IFELSE([break])
    done

If cross-compiling this causes AC_PROG_CPP to pick up the wrong cpp
(/lib/cpp) if $CC -E fails for whatever reason.

Ralf.

--
Ralf Corsepius
Forschungsinstitut fuer Anwendungsorientierte Wissensverarbeitung