RE: How to omit files from AC_OUTPUT?

From: John W. Millaway
Subject: RE: How to omit files from AC_OUTPUT?
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 16:22:01 -0700 (PDT)

--- Tim Van Holder <address@hidden> wrote:
> > I have a list of 'test' directories containing Makefiles. I want to
> > omit two of those tests if GNU Bison is not found, because they
> > depend on GNU bison. How do I do this?
> >
> >   AC_CHECK_PROG(BISON,bison,bison)
> >
> >   dnl Below, I want the last two directories to be omitted.
> >   dnl I could do it with two calls to AC_OUTPUT, wrapped in an
> >   dnl if/else statement, but it would look really messy.
> >   dnl Is there a way to build this list beforehand, then add to it
> >   dnl only if bison is found?
> >
> >   AC_OUTPUT(Makefile test-1/Makefile test-2/Makefile
> >             test-bison1/Makefile test-bison2/Makefile)
> >
> In autoconf 2.13, you might get away with:
>
> if test x$ac_cv_prog_BISON = xbison; then
>   extra_makefiles="test-bison1/Makefile test-bison2/Makefile"
> fi
> AC_OUTPUT(Makefile test-1/Makefile test-2/Makefile $extra_makefiles)

I'm sorry, I should have mentioned that my *actual* AC_OUTPUT list
is quite long. Each member is a directory that contains a specific
test to be performed. Some tests depend on "GNU bison", others
depend on libpthread, and others on both, etc..

I'd like a clean way to "add" a test to the list separately. This way,
other developers can add a new test directory and modify "configure.in"
in a straightforward manner.

I guess I don't understand what AC_OUTPUT does with its args. Can I embed
sh in the AC_OUTPUT arguments?