Re: Release next week?

From: Lars J. Aas
Subject: Re: Release next week?
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 15:01:24 +0200

On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 02:48:39PM +0200, Akim Demaille wrote:
: >>>>> "Russ" == Russ Allbery <address@hidden> writes:
:
: Russ> I hate to say this, but C *is* pretty portable, and you can
: Russ> probably assume that all maintainers who use autoconf have a C
: Russ> compiler available.  I suppose that the sort of string
: Russ> manipulation that autoconf wants to do is pretty much a
: Russ> non-starter in C?
:
: Really, no, not C.  We want a scripting language, we want easy support
: for regexp, we want to split lines of text, to pipe, to system, etc.

We would of course have to implement a slimline special-purpose scripting
language if we went for a C implementation...

Another scripting language that hasn't been mentioned is Tcl.  I've
done enough Tcl programming to know it's not what I would want, but it
has it's nice features too (Tk being the best one).

  Lars J