Re: autoconf auxdir

From: Earnie Boyd
Subject: Re: autoconf auxdir
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 08:00:07 -0500

"Lars J. Aas" wrote:

> 1) I've become quite a fan of using the AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR macro, and I
>    wouldn't mind if one was set up in Autoconf too.  Are there good reasons
>    for not setting one up?

Don't know.

> 2) We ought to unify the way these macros are named:
>
>    AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR
>    AC_CONFIG_SRCDIR
>
>    One ought to change and be AU_DEFUN'ed, and sooner rather than later
>    IMO (before 2.50).  Any opinions on this?  Any other such convention-
>    breaking names in the package?

I agree that they should be the same format.  However, I want to
complain about the name of AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR (the AUX part).  This leads
developers and maintainers to choose aux as a directory name and that
isn't portable to all platforms (Primarily Win32).  I would like to
lobby a name change from AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR to AC_CONFIG_SUPDIR.  The SUP
would be for either SUPplementary or SUPport which I obtained from the
definition of auxiliary.

Earnie.