Re: [patch] improved version information

From: Lars J. Aas
Subject: Re: [patch] improved version information
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 18:38:39 +0200

On Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 06:31:26PM +0200, Akim Demaille wrote:
: >>>>> "Lars" == Lars J Aas <address@hidden> writes:
: Lars> Give me real examples of configure scripts being installed for a
: Lars> good reason, or programs actually parsing the output of
: Lars> <package>/configure --version in a correct manner according to
: Lars> the rules written in the GNU Standards.
:
: Who knows???  Give me real reasons not to follow the standards!
:
: You have it wrong.  There is a standard, and _you_ have to come with a
: very good reason to departure from it.  _I_ have nothing to defend
: here.

Well, I can't really defend myself before you point out exactly how the
rules in the standards are broken.  I can't find that rule you are refering
to.

: Take zsh.  Today it can run --help on programs to offer completion on
: the options.  If some very creative maintainer departures from these
: conventions zsh won't be able to offer completion on the options.
:
: I'm sure the maintainer had good reasons, though...  Probably because
: it now fits 24 x 80.

This is cool, and I see your point - we should follow conventions.  I
agree.  I believe we are.

  Lars J