Re: Announcing Autoconf 2.49d

From: John Poltorak
Subject: Re: Announcing Autoconf 2.49d
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 19:52:58 +0000

On Tue, Mar 20, 2001 at 06:57:21PM +0100, Tim Van Holder wrote:

> > > John> I am using OS/2 which uses DOS paths and seperators, and drive
> > > John> letters.  Should I expect the path to be searched for sundry
> > > John> support files?
> > >
> > > Support for DOS and OS/2 is not yet complete.
> >
> > Couldn't any support for OS/2 fall in line with Win32 support?
> > They are identical as far as paths are concerned, ie. use of drive
> > letters, path seperators, and use of '\' instead of '/'.
>
> The problem is that both Cygwin's and DJGPP's bash are able to find foo.exe
> if given 'test -f foo'.

This is confusing...

According to my test --help...

  -f FILE     FILE exists and is a regular file

I don't see why '-f' should search for an executable...

> OS/2's shell probably doesn't.

No, it doesn't look like it.

> If you don't mind autoconf finding directories and thinking they're
> the programs it wants, you could try adding
>   as_executable_p='test -x'
> to your config.site; but this assumes OS/2 shell finds foo.exe if given
>   'test -x foo'.

This doesn't seem to work either, but it may be possible to change.

> Alternatively, you could write some small batch file or C program that
> will return 0 if the path name passed to it is executable (albeit with
> a possible extension added), and set as_executable_p to point to it.
>
> A simple example would be:
>
> -- is-program.sh
> #!/bin/sh
>
> test -f $1     && exit 0
> test -f $1.exe && exit 0
> test -f $1.pl  && exit 0
> test -f $1.bat && exit 0
> test -f $1.cmd && exit 0
> test -f $1.com && exit 0
> -- end of is-program.sh
> (modify the list to reflect the extension you want to consider)
>
> When as_executable_p is set to point to this script, configure will call
> it each time it tries to determine whether a program is available.

I guess I can give that a try, although if it's possible to set up
the environment in advance, that may be easier...

Is there a list of environment variables checked, and utilities required
by autoconf?

> I'm planning on adding support for system-defined executable extensions
> to 2.51, so all these problems will probably go away then (provided there
> is a clean way to determine what extensions should be checked).

Sounds good!

--
John