Status of 2.50

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Status of 2.50
Date: 19 Mar 2001 14:59:43 +0100

Hi People,

I am going to release 2.49d within an hour I think.  It is time to
target 2.50 for real.  Let it live one or two weeks, and let it be
2.50.

>From now on, only fixes for *new* bugs will be applied (i.e., what was
broken in 2.13 and is still broken today, won't be fixed in 2.50).
Nonetheless, a lot of work is still needed on the documentation, in
particular the lists of known bugs (we have a couple of new entries
for our beloved Ultrix), the portability sections as Tim started for
DJGPP, and the first chapter.

About the first chapter, I love what Elef has written, and I think it
is perfect for the first chapter.  But Elf has been absent for a very
long while now (almost two years IMHO).  Does anybody know how he is?
Elf, if you hear me, may I take some inspiration and some text :) from
your autotools tutorial?  Especially the chapter on the `GNU build
system'.

For those interested:

        ftp://ftp.ugcs.caltech.edu/pub/elef/autotools/toolsmanual.html

Also, is it OK to mention sold books in FSF's documentation?  Of
course, I'm thinking about the Goat book.  Gary?