AC_CONFIGURE_HEADER from subdirectory

From: Rasmus Tamstorf
Subject: AC_CONFIGURE_HEADER from subdirectory
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 14:17:18 -0800

Hi,

I'm trying to set up a project that has most of the configuration related
files (including configure.ac and acconfig.h) in $SRCDIR/config, but it's
causing me some grief, so I'm hoping someone can help me.

First off, if I run 'autoconf' from $PROJECT I have to tell it where to
find 'configure.ac', but when I do that output gets sent to stdout instead
of 'configure' :-/ I can, of course, pipe it to 'configure' but then I
have to chmod it before actually running it. Is there a good reason for
this ? Why doesn't it just save output in 'configure' unless (somehow)
specifically told not to do so ?

In order to work around this I simply run autoconf from $SRCDIR/config,
which works for the most part. However, I'm getting into trouble with
AC_CONFIGURE_HEADER. I'd like config.h.in to live in
$SRCDIR/config/config.h.in, so I've tried :

AC_CONFIGURE_HEADER(config/config.h)

This works fine with 'autoconf', but when I want to create config.h.in
with 'autoheader' I get an error :

mv: cannot create regular file `config/config.h.in': No such file or directory

If I take out the 'config/' part, both autoconf and autoheader run fine,
but the generated 'configure' script complains that

config.status: error: cannot find input file: config.h.in

Is there a way to achieve what I want ? I've been trying to look through
the documentation, but this is pretty new to me, and I'm not sure that I
understand all the idioms.

Rasmus

address@hidden         "A problem worthy of attack,
Walt Disney Feature Animation       proves its worth by hitting back" Kumbel