suppressing the newline from echo

From: Phil Edwards
Subject: suppressing the newline from echo
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 15:25:35 -0500

I've seen logic in generated configure files to determine how to keep echo
from suppressing the newline (-n, \c, etc).  Some ac_ variables get set
and then used in echo invocations.

Is this available in a macro?  I don't see anything in the 2.13 manual or
the online macro archive[*], and I'm leery of depending on implementation
details like ac_n, ac_c, and whatnot.

Phil
[*] Which recently moved; the autoconf homepage needs updating.