Re: [patch] remove config.status race condition

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: [patch] remove config.status race condition
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 15:03:57 -0500 (EST)

Hello, Alexandre!

> > Hello, Lars!
> >> This patch removes a race condition in config.status.
>
> > Neighter configure nor config.status should be run in the same time in the
> > same directory. Please explain why you have to.
>
> It's certainly valid to have multiple simultaneous config.status
> running on the same directory.  In fact, some time ago, Akim (?) fixed
> a bug that would often show up in the scenario Lars describes
> (automake-generated rules and make -j4).  We certainly want to support
> this.

I see. But we don't need reentrancy for configure, do we? It will be hard
to do, after all.

As far as config.status is concerned, the results of tests should be
hardcoded there, unless we really worry that a different shell can execute
it. In my opinion, moving tests to config.status is wrong, improving them
is also wrong. People switching shells on the fly should get what they
deserve.

If for any reason this can happen without explicit user intervention, it's
a bug in Autoconf (or Automake, if it puts a wrong shell to makefiles).

Regards,
Pavel Roskin