Re: [patch] don't discard previous config.log before necessary

From: Lars J. Aas
Subject: Re: [patch] don't discard previous config.log before necessary
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 13:19:46 +0100

On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 08:30:04PM -0500, Pavel Roskin wrote:
: Hello, Lars!
: >     * acgeneral.m4 (_AC_INIT_CONFIG_LOG): New macro.
: >     (AC_MESSAGE_LOG_NAME): Contains current logfile name. Use it.
: >     (_AC_INIT_DEFAULT_FDS): Start logging to conf-log.tmp.
: >     (_AC_INIT): Invoke _AC_INIT_CONFIG_LOG after options have
: >     been parsed.
:
: I think it's an overkill. Errors during option parsing should go to
: stderr. This would solve the problem.

The config.log file seems so wrong without those parts...

: Besides, I fail to see what you are doing with conf-log.tmp. If you always
: want to delete it, then use /dev/null instead :-)
:
: If you want to rename it to config.log at some point, you should do it
: somewhere. But again, this seems to be an overkill.

Read the patch again.  I rename conf-log.tmp to config.log in
_AC_INIT_CONFIG_LOG so the logging can continue to config.log.
I only want to delete conf-log.tmp if configure exits before
that point.

  Lars J
--
Innovation is one percent inspiration and ninetynine percent perspiration,
and in my case; twice that...  -- Norville Barnes, `The Hudsucker Proxy'