Re: AM_CFLAGS

From: Steve Robbins
Subject: Re: AM_CFLAGS
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 23:06:40 -0500

On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 01:14:31AM -0200, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On Feb 12, 2001, Steve Robbins <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > And I thought that it was a simple bug: the aclocal regexp was not
> > taking into account the possibility of assigning to a variable name
> > starting with "AM_".
>
> You shouldn't assign to these variables.  These are for *users* to
> override, not for configure.in to override.  It's good that aclocal
> and autoconf won't let you do it easily.

Hm.  I didn't check the archives, but I'm pretty sure this discussion
has already taken place on at least one of the two auto* lists.

My recollection of that discussion was just the opposite: the user
gets to set CFLAGS, LDFLAGS, and the like, while the software author
gets to set AM_-versions of them.  Otherwise, why have two versions
of them?

Cheers,
-Steve