Re: hardcoded prefix in aclocal

From: Brian Cameron
Subject: Re: hardcoded prefix in aclocal
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 13:55:54 +0000 (GMT)

Earnie:

Thanks for the excellent suggestion.  However, it still would be best
if the aclocal Perl program were updated to use "$0" to calculate where
the "share" directory is located ("$0" should contain the path to the
bin directory and the share directory is just ../share from there).

The reason we are setting up the symbolic link directory structure
is because we have multiple projects that each require different
versions of the GNU utilities for stable testing purposes.  Therefore
we would like to create several trees of symbolic links pointing to
the actual applications.  This is defeated when a program like
aclocal uses a hardcoded path to look for files that are installed
by other programs.

Therefore manipulating the "--prefix" value doesn't work for our
environment.  However, we are getting around it by hacking our own
environment variable into the aclocal script instead of using the
"$prefix" variable.  It works for now, but it is a hack.  I submitted
a bug to the automake gnats database, so I hope aclocal is made just
a little smarter.

Brian