Latest CVS - possible serious bug using it in UnixWare 7.1.1

From: Matt Schalit
Subject: Latest CVS - possible serious bug using it in UnixWare 7.1.1
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 02:06:01 -0800

Hi Folks,

On Superbowl Sunday, I had a few hours to attempt compiling
the latest CVS gcc using cc, gnu-make, and the latest CVS autoconf.
That was a no-go.

Here's why I think it relates to autoconf.  I pseudo-determined
that it was the cvs autoconf, so I replaced that (2.49d?) with
the 2.13.  The failure disappeared.

Here's the error I saw using the cvs autoconf:

Merde I deleted it.  Oh well.

Checking... checking....

Nope I didn't delete it all.  Here's what I saw when
I switched to the gcc tree path   /home/matthew/src/gcc/gcc/
and ran the command autoheader --debug --Wall --verbose, I think.
I'm pretty sure that command runs
        autoconf -l .

Below is the debug file  /tmp/ah2661/trace.sh

config_h="auto-host.h:config.in"
syms="$syms DEFAULT_LINKER"
ac_verbatim_DEFAULT_LINKER="\
/* Define to enable the use of a default linker. */
#undef DEFAULT_LINKER"
syms="$syms DEFAULT_ASSEMBLER"
ac_verbatim_DEFAULT_ASSEMBLER="\
/* Define to enable the use of a default assembler. */
#undef DEFAULT_ASSEMBLER"
syms="$syms ENABLE_CHECKING"
ac_verbatim_ENABLE_CHECKING="\
/* Define if you want more run-time sanity checks. This one gets a grab bag of
   miscellaneous but relatively cheap checks. */
#undef ENABLE_CHECKING"
syms="$syms ENABLE_TREE_CHECKING"
ac_verbatim_ENABLE_TREE_CHECKING="\
/* Define if you want all operations on trees (the basic data structure of the
   front ends) to be checked for dynamic type safety at runtime. This is
   moderately expensive. */
#undef ENABLE_TREE_CHECKING"
syms="$syms ENABLE_RTL_CHECKING"
ac_verbatim_ENABLE_RTL_CHECKING="\
/* Define if you want all operations on RTL (the basic data structure of the
   optimizer and back end) to be checked for dynamic type safety at runtime.
   This is quite expensive. */
#undef ENABLE_RTL_CHECKING"
syms="$syms ENABLE_GC_CHECKING"
ac_verbatim_ENABLE_GC_CHECKING="\
/* Define if you want the garbage collector to do object poisoning and other
   memory allocation checks. This is quite expensive. */
#undef ENABLE_GC_CHECKING"
syms="$syms ENABLE_GC_ALWAYS_COLLECT"
ac_verbatim_ENABLE_GC_ALWAYS_COLLECT="\
/* Define if you want the garbage collector to operate in maximally paranoid
   mode, validating the entire heap and collecting garbage at every
   opportunity. This is extremely expensive. */
#undef ENABLE_GC_ALWAYS_COLLECT"
syms="$syms MULTIBYTE_CHARS"
ac_verbatim_MULTIBYTE_CHARS="\
/* Define if you want the C and C++ compilers to support multibyte character
   sets for source code. */
#undef MULTIBYTE_CHARS"
syms="$syms NO_MINUS_C_MINUS_O"
ac_verbatim_NO_MINUS_C_MINUS_O="\
/* Define if your C compiler doesn't accept -c and -o together. */
#undef NO_MINUS_C_MINUS_O"
syms="$syms HAVE_LONG_DOUBLE"
syms="$syms _GNU_SOURCE"
ac_verbatim__GNU_SOURCE="\
/* Always define this when using the GNU C Library */
#undef _GNU_SOURCE"
syms="$syms inline"
ac_verbatim_inline="\
/* Define as \`__inline' if that's what the C compiler calls it, or to nothing
   if it is not supported. */
#undef inline"
syms="$syms inline"
syms="$syms HAVE_VOLATILE"
ac_verbatim_HAVE_VOLATILE="\
/* Define if your compiler understands volatile. */
#undef HAVE_VOLATILE"
syms="$syms STDC_HEADERS"
ac_verbatim_STDC_HEADERS="\
/* Define if you have the ANSI C header files. */
#undef STDC_HEADERS"
syms="$syms TIME_WITH_SYS_TIME"
ac_verbatim_TIME_WITH_SYS_TIME="\
/* Define if you can safely include both <sys/time.h> and <time.h>. */
#undef TIME_WITH_SYS_TIME"
syms="$syms STRING_WITH_STRINGS"
ac_verbatim_STRING_WITH_STRINGS="\
/* Define if you can safely include both <string.h> and <strings.h>. */
#undef STRING_WITH_STRINGS"
syms="$syms HAVE_SYS_WAIT_H"
ac_verbatim_HAVE_SYS_WAIT_H="\
/* Define if you have <sys/wait.h> that is POSIX.1 compatible. */
#undef HAVE_SYS_WAIT_H"
ac_verbatim_HAVE_LIMITS_H="\
/* Define if you have the <limits.h> header file. */
#undef HAVE_LIMITS_H"
ac_verbatim_HAVE_STDDEF_H="\
/* Define if you have the <stddef.h> header file. */
#undef HAVE_STDDEF_H"
ac_verbatim_HAVE_STRING_H="\
/* Define if you have the <string.h> header file. */
#undef HAVE_STRING_H"
ac_verbatim_HAVE_STRINGS_H="\
/* Define if you have the <strings.h> header file. */
#undef HAVE_STRINGS_H"
ac_verbatim_HAVE_STDLIB_H="\
/* Define if you have the <stdlib.h> header file. */
#undef HAVE_STDLIB_H"
ac_verbatim_HAVE_TIME_H="\
/* Define if you have the <time.h> header file. */
#undef HAVE_TIME_H"
ac_verbatim_HAVE_FCNTL_H="\
/* Define if you have the <fcntl.h> header file. */
#undef HAVE_FCNTL_H"
ac_verbatim_HAVE_UNISTD_H="\
/* Define if you have the <unistd.h> header file. */
#undef HAVE_UNISTD_H"
ac_verbatim_HAVE_STAB_H="\
/* Define if you have the <stab.h> header file. */
#undef HAVE_STAB_H"
ac_verbatim_HAVE_SYS_FILE_H="\
/* Define if you have the <sys/file.h> header file. */
#undef HAVE_SYS_FILE_H"
ac_verbatim_HAVE_SYS_TIME_H="\
/* Define if you have the <sys/time.h> header file. */
#undef HAVE_SYS_TIME_H"
ac_verbatim_HAVE_SYS_RESOURCE_H="\
/* Define if you have the <sys/resource.h> header file. */
#undef HAVE_SYS_RESOURCE_H"
ac_verbatim_HAVE_SYS_PARAM_H="\
/* Define if you have the <sys/param.h> header file. */
#undef HAVE_SYS_PARAM_H"
ac_verbatim_HAVE_SYS_TIMES_H="\
/* Define if you have the <sys/times.h> header file. */
#undef HAVE_SYS_TIMES_H"
ac_verbatim_HAVE_SYS_STAT_H="\
/* Define if you have the <sys/stat.h> header file. */
#undef HAVE_SYS_STAT_H"
ac_verbatim_HAVE_DIRECT_H="\
/* Define if you have the <direct.h> header file. */
#undef HAVE_DIRECT_H"
ac_verbatim_HAVE_MALLOC_H="\
/* Define if you have the <malloc.h> header file. */
#undef HAVE_MALLOC_H"
ac_verbatim_HAVE_LANGINFO_H="\
/* Define if you have the <langinfo.h> header file. */
#undef HAVE_LANGINFO_H"
ac_verbatim_HAVE_ICONV_H="\
/* Define if you have the <iconv.h> header file. */
#undef HAVE_ICONV_H"
/usr/local/bin/m4: configure.in: 462: ERROR: Recursion limit of 250 exceeded,
use -L<N> to change it

The error refers to      gcc/gcc/configure.in

Sooo, I made a shell script to raise the limit to 2000
by calling the shell script /usr/local/bin/gm4 which is
searched by configure when it tries to find an m4 to use.
It would use the gm4 version, which only had this coomand:

   /usr/local/bin/m4 -L2000 $@

I tried various values of -L, 400, 500, 800, 1000, 2000.
They all failed with the same error, saying the limit I
chose had been exceeded.

Nothing woirked until I removed the gm4 script and switched
back to autoconf 2.13.

PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/etc:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/ccs/bin:/usr/local/kde/bin:/usr/X/bin
LIBPATH=/usr/lib:/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/ccs/lib
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib:/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/ccs/lib::/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.2/lib

Is this enough info to proceede with your analysis?

Roger that,
Matt