Re: [OT] waitpid()

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: [OT] waitpid()
Date: 18 Jan 2001 08:09:48 -0800

Lars Hecking <address@hidden> writes:

>  Sorry for this OTish post, but I figured the list has excellent
>  expertise in this area ...

>  I need to implement a configure check for waitpid(). While this by
>  itself is trivial, are there any known abnormalities/non-POSIXisms
>  I need to consider? Also, are there any concrete examples of operating
>  systems (still in use :) that have no waitpid()? Stevens mentions
>  pre-SVR4 and pre-BSD4.3.

INN didn't have any checks beyond existence of the function, so that's
generally a good sign that it doesn't have significant abnormalities.  (I
ripped out that check and just assumed the existence of waitpid in the
current development version with no complaints yet, though.)

INN used to fall back on wait3 if waitpid didn't exist, which seems to
indicate that waitpid was expected to be a problem on BSD platforms, not
on SysV platforms (since IIRC wait3 is a BSDism).  INN was only using
waitpid to do a non-blocking wait, though, not for its ability to wait on
a particular PID (for which you'd need wait4).

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>