Re: Change request: file names

From: Alexandre Oliva
Subject: Re: Change request: file names
Date: 18 Jan 2001 12:26:13 -0200

On Jan 18, 2001, Akim Demaille <address@hidden> wrote:

> | I'd like to request the following changes in file names for some future
> | version of autoconf:
> |
> | -) use acversion.in, not acversion.m4.in
> |    reason: not all systems support multiple dots in filenames
> |
> | A similar problem exists in the man directory (the config.guess and
> | config.sub man pages), but that is not so easily solved.

> I don't like this one.  But we can distribute acversion.m4, would that
> make your life easier?

Not if acversion.m4.in appears after acversion.m4 in the tar-file.  In
this case, it would be overwritten.

> Nevertheless, you'll see that the test suite uses config.hin to make
> your life easier.

How about using .m4in instead?

> |    It would also be more consistent with the naming conventions
> |    autoconf uses for templates (name + .in).

> Agreed, _because_ of the last argument.

Ditto.  .sh and .pl should be scripts, not files that have to be
preprocessed to become scripts.  These should be .shin and .plin

Of course, on DOS, these will become m4i, shi and pli, but this is no
big deal.

Red Hat GCC Developer                  address@hidden, redhat.com}
CS PhD student at IC-Unicamp        address@hidden, gnu.org}