Re: Autoconf -- confirmation of subscription -- request 852449

From: Akim Demaille
Date: 15 Jan 2001 08:42:33 +0100

Hal> I'd like to make autoconf as UTS-aware as possible as soon as
Hal> possible

<picky>
No you don't, you just want to have tests that can check properly
failures of this system: Autoconf does not care the underlying system,
it cares about its features.
</picky>

Hal> (no, I don't mean get you all to do it), so I'd like to know
Hal> what's its status.  At first I thought it was frozen circa 1/99,
Hal> at version 2.13, but now I see that's not so.

Nei, see subversions.gnu.org, module Autoconf.  For easier access,
give a try to ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/cvs/autoconf.tar.gz.

Hal> How can I learn about the release process, and when is the next
Hal> opportunity to get changes in a generally available system?

Stay tuned on this list.

Hal> Also, I've looked at a lot of configure files, and seen very
Hal> little evidence of versions beyond 2.13 in use (one was generated
Hal> by a 2.14 version).  Do you know why?

Because some *&$£ found it intelligent to distribute a
drafty-pre-alpha (unless you are referring to a2ps, in which case the
maintainer knew what he did :).