Ultrix problem

From: Harlan Stenn
Subject: Ultrix problem
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 23:49:51 -0500

Not sure if this is an automake or an autoconf problem, and I['m putting out
too many fires tonight.

For a Long Time I've noticed the following output at the beginning of each
"configure" run under Ultrix:

 configure: loading cache /dev/null
 checking build system type... mips-dec-ultrix4.4
 checking host system type... mips-dec-ultrix4.4
 checking target system type... mips-dec-ultrix4.4
 /bin/sh: <BA>: not found
 WARNING: `:' is needed, and you do not seem to have it handy on your
         system.  You might have modified some files without having the
         proper tools for further handling them.  Check the `README' file,
         it often tells you about the needed prerequirements for installing
         this package.  You may also peek at any GNU archive site, in case
         some other package would contain this missing `:' program.
 configure: WARNING: `missing' script is too old or missing

And I just noticed a new problem with configure (the latest CVS version):

 checking how to run the C preprocessor... # 1 "conftest.c"
 # 1942 "configure"

 # 1 "confdefs.h" 1

 # 1943 "configure" 2

 # 1 "/usr/local/mips-dec-ultrix4.4/include/assert.h" 1 3
 # 1945 "configure"
 Syntax error
 conftest.err: No such file or directory
 /lib/cpp
 configure: error: C preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check