Re: changequote

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: changequote
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 10:55:49 -0800

Mirar wrote:
> And I *can* use every possible character inside a string; both the
> '\"' and '\042' mechanisms make sure of that. In a raw m4 environment,
> I don't have that possibility without changequote.

> Is that - define - going to be dropped too, btw?

You see :-).  I do think AutoGen the better platform.
You can define all the functions you want and there cannot
possibly be a quoting conflict because the quoting is processed
once only when the macro gets defined.  (The quotes are merely
inside out with respect to autoconf because the macros are
quoted instead of the source text.  A distinction with little
difference.)  At least now there is a possibility of demonstrating
a working improvement because before the quoting was regularized
in autoconf, an automated conversion from autoconf macros to
autogen macros was essentially impossible.  Quote processing
rules were just too obtuse to follow.  Now I can do it.  :-)