Re: configure.ac

From: Lars J. Aas
Subject: Re: configure.ac
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 15:45:21 +0100

On Fri, Dec 15, 2000 at 03:29:34PM +0100, Akim Demaille wrote:
: Would someone see a problem if I adjust Autoconf to support
: configure.ac in addition to configure.in?  I think `.in' was a very
: bad name (which in addition introduces an undesirable confusion
: between autoconf instantiation and config.status instantiation).
:
: The real point is that the day Autom4te (the name is (C) Lars) is

I even got a Trademark pending ;)

: born, it will need means to distinguish between Autotest, Autoconf,
: M4sugar and M4sh sources, to load the appropriate frozen files.  Sure
: `configure.in' can be reserved for Autoconf only, but adding support
: for `configure.ac' seems good anyway.  And to tell the truth, I'd like
: to have Autoconf follow this, i.e., rename Autoconf's configure.in as
: configure.ac.  I do understand I'm about to shock a few people for
: breaking a long established tradition, but when tradition collides
: with future, there's no need to think too long (well, I guess someone
: will tell me to think longer anyway :).

I think configure.ac might be a good idea, but I haven't thought that
thoroughly through it, though.

  Lars J
--
Innovation is one percent inspiration and ninetynine percent perspiration,
and in my case; twice that...  -- Norville Barnes, `The Hudsucker Proxy'