AC_INIT/3

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: AC_INIT/3
Date: 07 Dec 2000 11:25:51 +0100

Hi,

Before 2.50, we need to decide the interface we give to the arguments
given to AC_INIT.  For instance, it seems reasonable to me to have

AC_INIT([Autoconf], [2.50], address@hidden)
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE

and that's all.  Which means we must pass `Autoconf' and `2.50' to
Automake.  And in fact, we even need to be able to compute the lower
case form of `Autoconf' to pass `autoconf' to AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE.

As already quite known, I'm in favor of literals, which means no

AC_INIT($package, $version, $bug)

so it is perfectly valid to compute on the argument given to AC_INIT.

Now the question: should we keep only M4 values:

m4_define([_AC_INIT_PACKAGE],
[m4_define([AC_PACKAGE_NAME],     [$1])
m4_define([AC_PACKAGE_VERSION],   [$2])
m4_define([AC_PACKAGE_STRING],    [$1 $2])
m4_define([AC_PACKAGE_BUGREPORT], [$3])
])

or we should also provide the variables which are set by Automake:

m4_define([_AC_INIT_PACKAGE],
[m4_define([AC_PACKAGE_NAME],     [$1])
PACKAGE='m4_lower([$1])'
m4_define([AC_PACKAGE_VERSION],   [$2])
VERSION='$2'
m4_define([AC_PACKAGE_STRING],    [$1 $2])
m4_define([AC_PACKAGE_BUGREPORT], [$3])
])

Thanks!

        Akim