Re: ifnames output

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: ifnames output
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 14:42:40 -0500 (EST)

Hello, Paul!

> Based on the documentation, ifnames will output only the identifiers used
> in #if directives.  The CVS version dumps all the lines that start with
> # rather than just the identifiers.

I guess "ifnames" was broken recently and nobody noticed because there is
no test for "ifnames" in the testsuite.

> Is the documenation wrong or the new ifnames.  Besides some minor
> changes between the two versions, the new version has been GNU
> standardized. I have un-GNU standardized the code and it works again.

Please don't make any conclusions of such kind without analyzing the
output of "cvs log" and "cvs annonate" for the file in question.

What happened in this case? The changes that broke ifnames.sh exist
since the revision 1.18. Let's see what "cvs log" shows for that
revision.

revision 1.18
date: 2000/10/16 18:25:56;  author: akim;  state: Exp;  lines: +26 -14
* acgeneral.m4: Adjust copyright notice.
* acspecific.m4: Likewise.
* acoldnames.m4: Likewise.
* acversion.m4.in: Likewise.
* autoconf.sh: Likewise.
* autoheader.sh: Likewise.
* autoreconf.sh: Likewise.
* autoscan.pl: Likewise.
* autoupdate.sh: Likewise.
* ifnames.sh: Likewise.

Thus we see that Akim intended to submit only a copyright change but
somehow he submitted other changes.

My guilt is that I also touched ifnames.sh and didn't make sure that it
still works. I hoped that the testsuite would catch it for me. Sorry for
that.

> I'll submit a patch to address@hidden

I guess the right way would be:

Revert to the revision 1.17
Update the copyright, as Akim intended.
Merge my change for the help message (it's trivial).
Commit ifnames.sh.

Write a test for ifnames.sh
Commit it.

Akim, are you Ok with it?