Re: name of m4 executable

From: Assar Westerlund
Subject: Re: name of m4 executable
Date: 21 Oct 2000 08:53:59 +0200

Marco Franzen <address@hidden> writes:
> When I configured autoconf, it looked for GNU m4 under serveral names,
> including gm4:
>       checking for gm4... /usr/gnu/bin/gm4
> After building and installing autoconf, this information was lost, and the
> installed version did not find this very (g)m4.

It should have.  It does code this into the generated autoconf
sh-script:

: ${M4=/usr/gnu/bin/gm4}
: ${AWK=awk}
case "${M4}" in
/*) # Handle the case that m4 has moved since we were configured.
    # It may have been found originally in a build directory.
    test -f "${M4}" || M4=m4 ;;
esac

Where the value of M4 in the first line should be the one that it
found during configure.  Can you check in your installed autoconf
script to see what it says?

The only reason for it not to work, would be that it triggers the code
in the case, namely that the script cannot find the m4 that was found
at configure time.  Can you check if this is the case?

/assar