autoconf problem

From: Michael Long
Subject: autoconf problem
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 18:15:16 -0400

Hi,

I spent about 2 hours trying to get autoconf to make until I realized it picked up "/bin/m4" (my system's) instead of "/usr/local/bin/m4" (gnu's)

I'm not sure exactly the best way to handle this, but some suggestions:
1. check /usr/local/bin before you check any other paths...this way, if they have a built-in m4, you should pick up the gnu version first
2. do "m4 --version" and if you don't see "GNU" in the string, then fail

Michael Long
Senior Systems Analyst
Info Avenue Internet Services, LLC