Re: Portability of "mv -f"

From: Eric Siegerman
Subject: Re: Portability of "mv -f"
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 13:52:02 -0400

On Thu, Sep 21, 2000 at 02:25:47PM -0700, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
>    Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 06:50:43 -0400 (EDT)
>    From: Pavel Roskin <address@hidden>
>
>    how portable is "mv" across mount points, i.e. between
>    $TMPDIR and the current directory? Will "mv -f" help?
>
> I do not think that mv across mount points is portable.  The -f option
> will not help.

Moving individual files between filesystems should be extremely
portable; I'm pretty sure V6 could do this.  Not atomic, though,
which bit us recently (when doing "mv newfile existingfile",
there's a critical section where neither the old nor the new
version of existingfile actually exists -- not nice if the file
in question is your (semi-dynamic) home page...)

I very much doubt that V6 could handle directories, though.  I'm
not sure how portable this is, but I'd be willing to bet its
portability closely correlates with that of "cp -r" :-)

--

|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        address@hidden
|  |  /
Nobody ever got fired for buying Microsoft -- but they could get
fired for relying on Microsoft.
        - Chris Garrigues
From: Ben Elliston <address@hidden>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 15:29:51 +1100 (EST)