autoconf-archive-maintainers

[patch #8701] AX_PYTHON_DEVEL should provide PYTHON_LIBS, not PYTHON_LDF

From: anonymous
Subject: [patch #8701] AX_PYTHON_DEVEL should provide PYTHON_LIBS, not PYTHON_LDFLAGS
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2015 19:30:13 +0000

             Assigned to: None
        Originator Email: address@hidden
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Details:

As I understand it, LDFLAGS is for linker flags and LIBS is for libraries. so
the -L and -l options should be in a LIBS variable rather than an LDFLAGS
variable.

This has not been a problem until recently. But some more recent versions of
gcc (or maybe just g++, or maybe the linker) have started ignoring -L and -l
command line options that appear after the source filename. But that's where
AC_LINK_IFELSE() puts LDFLAGS, as it presumably should. And that makes other
checks such as AX_BOOST_PYTHON fail.

This is an attempt at a patch to correct this in AX_PYTHON_DEVEL, though I'm
not sure if there are really some PYTHON_EXTRA_LDFLAGS (not libs) that should
still be discovered.

I have similar updates for AX_BOOST_BASE and AX_BOOST_PYTHON but I thought I'd
start the conversation here first. Maybe other macros would need to be
updated, and obviously application build files would need to be updated (when
they update their copy of AX_PYTHON_DEVEL), but I think it would be worth it
to remove this confusion.

This is how I discovered this:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/31304553/linker-error-with-libboost-python-py34-on-ubuntu-15-04/31330681#31330681

File Attachments:

Date: Fri 10 Jul 2015 07:30:10 PM UTC  Name:
0001-AX_PYTHON_DEVEL-provide-PYTHON_LIBS-not-PYTHON_LDFLA.patch  Size: 6kB
By: None

<http://savannah.gnu.org/patch/download.php?file_id=34419>

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?8701>

  Message sent via/by Savannah