autoconf-archive-maintainers

Re: Question about API stability of autoconf-archive

From: Peter Simons
Subject: Re: Question about API stability of autoconf-archive
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 12:06:20 +0100

Hi Philip,

 > What’s the API stability policy for autoconf-archive macros? Once a
 > macro is in an autoconf-archive release, is it committed to API
 > stability for ever, or is it free to break its API whenever it likes
 > (subject to updating #serial)?

our macros can change their API. Every reasonable person understands, of
course, that backwards compatibility shouldn't be broken lightly and it
happens rarely, but in the end there's no mechanism in place to guarantee
that a macro doesn't change its API. We do guarantee that every edit
triggers a bump of the #serial number, though.

I hope this helps,
Peter