audio-video

Re: [Audio-video] http://audio-video.gnu.org/video/ghm2013/Samuel_Thibau

From: Samuel Thibault
Subject: Re: [Audio-video] http://audio-video.gnu.org/video/ghm2013/Samuel_Thibault_Jean-Philippe_Mengual-Freedom_0_for_everybody_really_.text
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2014 00:38:07 +0200

Richard Stallman, le Thu 31 Jul 2014 16:37:31 -0400, a écrit :
> Only a fraction of people need accessibility, but everyone needs
> freedom.  It is better to free most people than free no one.
>
> We reject the idea that we should refuse to free anyone
> until the day that we can free everyone.

Sure. One can't free everyone anyway, there will always be somebody who
can not use the software, even if it is made accessible.

> We will free those we can free with whatever we have got.
> Our chances of helping the disabled some day are bigger
> if we strengthen our movement as much as we can.

I agree.  My point of the GHM talk was that I believe that the GNU
project has pretty much succeeded there in the past decades, and it's
probably now high time thinking about accessibility, to make sure that
we try to avoid leaving users behind.

To come back to the actual point of the audio-video list (I don't know
what the start of the discussion was there, actually), perhaps it would
be useful to add a clarification paragraph at the beginning of the text
transcript, to explain what was actually (confusingly) meant?

Samuel