Re: AUCTex in WSL cannot find TeX Live in Win

From: Ikumi Keita
Subject: Re: AUCTex in WSL cannot find TeX Live in Win
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2022 14:22:50 +0900

> Weird. After - though not expecting anything to change - trying your
> suggestion a second time:
>> How about
>> (let ((process-connection-type nil))
>> (start-process "dummy" (current-buffer) TeX-shell TeX-shell-command-option
>> "cmd.exe"))
>> then? Does it open a windows command prompt?
> This time the following popped up, not in the minibuffer, but in the
> same buffer "scratch", just after the last ")" in your command:
> "\\wsl$\Debian\home\citizen13"
> CMD.EXE wurde mit dem oben angegebenen Pfad als aktuellem Verzeichnis
> gestartet.
> UNC-Pfade werden nicht unterstützt.
> Stattdessen wird das Windows-Verzeichnis als aktuelles Verzeichnis gesetzt.
> Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19044.1889]
> (c) Microsoft Corporation. Alle Rechte vorbehalten. C:\Windows>
> Quick & dirty translation: CMD.EXE was started with the above stated
> path as present directory. UNC-paths are not supported. Instead the
> windows-directory is being set as present directory. Microsoft [...]
> etc. (c) [...] All rights reserved. C:\Windows
> Makes a non-technical person wonder: May this be considered a success
> or the contrary?

I assume that it didn't open a command prompt actually. Then the request
was transmitted to windows side, and windows tried to start cmd.exe.
However, the current directory "\\wsl$\Debian\home\citizen13" was
considered invalid. Hmm... I wonder why pdflatex.exe ran successfully on
wsl bash prompt, then.

1. On windows side (not in wsl), does the directory
   "\\wsl$\Debian\home\citizen13" exist actually?
2. What does
cmd.exe /c cd
   report on wsl bash prompt (not in emacs)?

Regards,
Ikumi Keita
#StandWithUkraine #StopWarInUkraine