Re: AUCTex in WSL cannot find TeX Live in Win

From: Ikumi Keita
Subject: Re: AUCTex in WSL cannot find TeX Live in Win
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2022 14:51:30 +0900

Hi Pete,

>> Maybe the >output of `M-x TeX-submit-bug-report RET' would be helpful.
> I hope I have done this correctly: This is what I get with my default
> setup under which auctex can not find Tex Live in windows when I try
> to compile 'helloworld.tex'

Thanks, now I can confirm that your emacs thinks that it's running on
linux.

> This seems to have evoked something: Now, when loading helloworld.tex
> and run 'latex'-command
> 1) auctex does not complain any more but seems to be compiling.
> 2) asks to "Type 'C-c C-l" to display results of compilation"

OK. (More precisely, "Type ... compilation" isn't a request, so you
don't have to obey it. It's just an informative message to tell that
"you can do this".)

> Unfortunately though, this produces another error: 'Running `LaTeX' on
> `helloworld' with ``pdflatex.exe -file-line-error
> -interaction=nonstopmode helloworld.tex'''

That isn't an error. It indicates that AUCTeX did (try to) start
typeset. Under normal circumstances, it's followed by log message from
running pdflatex process like this:
Running `LaTeX' on `abc' with ``pdflatex  -file-line-error
-interaction=nonstopmode abc.tex''
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.141592653-2.6-1.40.24 (TeX Live 2022) (preloaded
format=pdflatex)
 restricted \write18 enabled.

> Any idea what this might mean?

We have to find out the reason why log output didn't appear.
1. Was helloworld.pdf generated after the above procedure? If so,
   pdflatex process did run successfully while emacs just fails to
   capture its output.
2. After AUCTeX is loaded, insert
(start-process "dummy" (current-buffer) TeX-shell TeX-shell-command-option "ls")
   at last of *scratch* buffer and type C-x C-e just after the closing
   ")". What appears in the buffer?
3. Try
(start-process "dummy" (current-buffer) TeX-shell TeX-shell-command-option
"tex.exe --version")
   in the same manner and report the result.

By the way, if you need other binaries in TeX Live, e.g. bibtex,
makeindex etc., you have to modify the respective entries in
`TeX-command-list' to add ".exe" suffix like this:

> ("BibTeX" "bibtex %(O?aux)" TeX-run-BibTeX nil

("BibTeX" "bibtex.exe %(O?aux)" TeX-run-BibTeX nil
                 ^^^^

Use `M-x customize-option TeX-command-list RET' to do that.

Regards,
Ikumi Keita
#StandWithUkraine #StopWarInUkraine