Re: Keybinding C-M-a for LaTeX-find-matching-begin does not work!

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Keybinding C-M-a for LaTeX-find-matching-begin does not work!
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 08:23:29 +0200

Heiko Schröder <heikos@online.de> writes:

Hi Heiko,

>> Hm, the docs are a bit outdated.  C-M-a is bound to
>> `beginning-of-defun' which in turn calls
>> `beginning-of-defun-function' which AUCTeX sets to
>> `LaTeX-find-matching-begin'.
> Hm, a bit peculiar, because M-x LaTeX-find-matching-begin says after
> the action took place, that I can invoke it by C-M-a.

That sounds like it is actually bound to C-M-a directly...  Ah, I see,
that was the way it was done up to the 13.1 release.  The change to
instead setting `beginning-of-defun-function' / `end-of-defun-function'
came a bit later.

> C-M-e places the cursor at the end of the \end-line.  C-M-a does nothin.
>
>   I have bound it for testing to C-ch and C-ca, and it works fine.
>
> But I cannot bind it myself to C-M-a.
>
> If I try it, it does nothing at all.
>
> Although Emacs says, that it is bound to C-M-a.

This sounds like your emacs doesn't recognize C-M-a altogether which is
confirmed by your other mail where you say:

> But C-hk gives NO information for C-M-a.  As if this key does not
> exist.  But if that would be the case, normally you are informed, that
> the key is unbound.

What happens when you put

  (defun foo ()
    (+ 1 2 3))

in *scratch*, place point somewhere in that function and do C-M-a and
C-M-e.  I guess the latter will also work while the former doesn't.  So
in that case, it's surely no AUCTeX issue.

A likely culprit could be that you've bound C-M-a to some functionality
of your window manager so those key combo is handled by that and not
passed on to applications like emacs.

Bye,
Tassilo