TeX-command-run-all (C-c C-a) doesn't run to generate Table of Contents

From: Pieter van Oostrum
Subject: TeX-command-run-all (C-c C-a) doesn't run to generate Table of Contents
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 16:23:08 +0100

This is what the manual says:

TeX-command-run-all
(C-c C-a) Compile the current document until an error occurs or it is finished.
If compilation finishes successfully, run the viewer at the end.

However, for a new document containing '\tableofcontents', the document isn't
finished unless another LaTeX run is done that puts the ToC in the document. Is
there a way for AUCTeX to detect this need? I am using  version 13.0.16 of
AUCTeX which doesn't do that.

I know there isn't a warning in the .log file about this, but it does say:
No file <document>.toc.
Together with the presence of the `\tableofcontents` command this could give an
indication that an additional run may be necessary. The same for 'lot' and
'lof'.

And yes, I know that the problem can be solved by using LatexMk.
--
Pieter van Oostrum <pieter@vanoostrum.org>
www: http://pieter.vanoostrum.org/