TEXINPUTS as a local variable

From: Leo Butler
Subject: TEXINPUTS as a local variable
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2022 10:11:47 -0600

Hello,

How can I set TEXINPUTS, or a facsimile thereof, as a buffer-local
variable?

I have been using:

%%% Local Variables:
%%% mode: latex
%%% eval: (setenv "TEXINPUTS" ".:..:../resources:../../resources:")
%%% TeX-master: t
%%% End:

but this changes TEXINPUTS for every invocation of (pdf)latex.

I have looked around for an answer to the question and found:

-an old exchange which did not seem to go anywhere:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/auctex/2005-05/msg00097.html

-a recent post on SE
https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/37224/configuring-texinputs-from-auctex

(the latter suggests the setenv method and also contains a link to the
former).

-from (info "(auctex) Automatic Private")

 -- User Option: TeX-macro-private
     Directories where you store your personal TeX macros.  The value
     defaults to the directories listed in the 'TEXINPUTS' and
     'BIBINPUTS' environment variables or to the respective directories
     in '$TEXMFHOME' if no results can be obtained from the environment
     variables.

I suppose that I could advise TeX-run-command, or such like, using
TeX-macro-private to setenv TEXINPUTS and then un-set it. But I am
hoping there is something built-in.

TIA,
Leo