Re: cannot get AUCTeX to work

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: cannot get AUCTeX to work
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 2021 16:32:39 +0100

On Sat, Jan 09 2021, Greg Bognar via General discussion about AUCTeX wrote:
>> Pastiche P <pastiche228@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> The error is gone, but I'm not sure AUCTeX itself is properly loaded. E.g.,
>> the command LaTeX-section is undefined. Or perhaps I'm misunderstanding
>> something?
>
> In my experience, you need to do
>
> (use-package latex
>   :ensure auctex
>   :mode ("\\.tex\\'" . LaTeX-mode)
>   :init (...)
>   :config (setq TeX-auto-save t
>                 TeX-parse-self t
>                 etc...))
>
> This will load all the other libraries that latex.el requires.

I do:

```
(use-package tex-site
  :ensure auctex
  :config ...)
```

Before use-package, before package.el even, `(require 'tex-site)` was the way to
load AUCTeX, so I kept `tex-site` when I switched to use-package.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to add an example `use-package` declaration to
the "Quick Start" section of the manual?

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments