Re: TeX-style-path

From: Greg Bognar
Subject: Re: TeX-style-path
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2020 15:25:36 +0100

On Fri 11 Dec 2020 at 20:56 Arash Esbati wrote:

> Greg Bognar via General discussion about AUCTeX <auctex@gnu.org> writes:
> > In my config, I set the values for TeX-auto-global, TeX-auto-private,
> > TeX-auto-local, TeX-style-private, and TeX-style-local variables.
> > TeX-style-path is constructed from these.
> >
> > So I have
> >
> > (use-package latex
> >   :ensure auctex
> >   :mode ("\\.tex\\'" . LaTeX-mode)
> >   [...]
> >   :config
> >   [...]
> >   TeX-auto-global (concat user-cache-directory "autoparse")
> >   [etc]
> >
> > Is this the right way to do it?  And why am I getting the default values?
>
> I don't use `use-package' so my comments might be off.  First, I think
> Tassilo's suggestion is good wrt use `:init' instead of `:config'.

Yes, Tassilo's suggestion results in the right value for `TeX-style-path', but
weirdly, C-h v now says:

Value
("~/.cache/emacs/autoparse" "/home/greg/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.3.1/style"
"~/.cache/emacs/auctex")

Original Value
("~/.cache/emacs/autoparse" "/home/greg/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.3.1/style"
"~/.cache/emacs/auctex")

So Emacs thinks my modifications were both the original and the customized
values.  I'd love to understand why that is.

> Looking at manual, you should also do
>
>     (use-package tex ; not latex
>       :ensure auctex

No, that does not work, because any customization below that comes from latex.el
(and probably other files in AUCTeX, e.g., context.el) will result in error
messages.
`(use-package latex' will load tex.el, but not the other way round.

Perhaps the right way to use use-package with AUCTeX is to have separate
stanzas like

(use-package tex

(use-package latex

(use-package contex