latex-dev: how to use?

From: AW
Subject: latex-dev: how to use?
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2020 10:53:50 +0200

Hi!

I'd like to test the development version of pdflatex and lualatex, see here:
https://tex.stackexchange.com/q/506646/4736

The article by Frank Mittelbach (here: https://tug.org/members/TUGboat/tb41-2/
tb128mitt-quovadis.pdf) was to interesting to resist, but after investigating
about how to implement the necessary commands in AUCTeX, I got stuck in
commands like

 Name: LaTeX
            Command: %`%l%(mode)%' %T

Ahem, whut? This is from customization of TeX-command-list.

The trick seems to change the command from 'pdflatex ...' to pdflatex-dev
...', but it would take much time for me to figure it out.

Maybe for a reader of this list it is an easy exercise to provide the lisp
code to make it possible to write on a per file basis

% Local Variables:
% TeX-engine: luatex-dev
% End:

or

% Local Variables:
% TeX-engine: pdftex-dev
% End:

and the file is compiled with lualatex-dev or pdflatex-dev?

Thank you!

Regards,

Alexander