LaTeX package completion not working properly

From: Brian Elmegaard
Subject: LaTeX package completion not working properly
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2020 10:34:04 +0200

Hi

I am trying to get auctex to complete installed LaTeX packages when inserting C-RET \usepackage.

Unfortunately, I only get the preview package no matter, what I have tried so far.

I have Emacs 26.2 and auctex 12.2.0 on Windows 10 running MikTeX 2.9.

Completion is working for LaTeX classes and BibTeX styles.

It also works for
LaTeX commands and environments as soon as I have entered the package name manually.
But for \usepackage it does not work.

The only difference I can find is that somehow I have the environment variable TEXINPUTS set to the path:
.;c:/Users/me/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.2.0/latex
This is used in LaTeX-search-files-type-alist

The other environment variables used in this are not set.

TEXINPUTS is set when auctex is enabled by opening a tex-file.
Before this TEXINPUTS is unset like the others.

I have tried to add to TEXINPUTS in .emacs with
(setenv "TEXINPUTS" "c:/Users/me/AppData/Local/Programs/MiKTeX 2.9/tex/latex/")
But this has no effect.

I would appreciate any hints on this.

Brian