Re: [AUCTeX] [Bug] No install target for latex-flymake

From: Alex Branham
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] [Bug] No install target for latex-flymake
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2018 11:03:14 -0600

On Sun 25 Feb 2018 at 06:52, Vladimir Lomov <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello,
> ** Alex Branham [2018-02-23 09:26:33 -0600]:

> I wouldn't pretend that I understand the Emacs Lisp, esp. these two
> lines in 'latex-flymake.el':
>
>   (when (< 25 emacs-major-version)
>     (add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook #'LaTeX-setup-flymake-backend))
>
> but I checked that when I run Emacs _with_ these lines in the file I see
> that LaTeX-mode-hook (through Customize) contains
>
>   preview-mode-setup
>   LaTeX-setup-flymake-backend
>
> and in modeline when I open my LaTeX document I see
>
>   LaTeX/PS
>
> that's why I concluded that documentation is wrong because the hook is
> always on.

Flymake requires a backend function (or functions) so it can find
warnings/errors. That's all LaTeX-setup-flymake-backend does, it doesn't
actually turn on flymake-mode.

>> Probably a better solution would be to see how this is breaking
>> Vladimir's config. What exactly breaks?
>
> The first thing I noticed was that when I typed '$' then Emacs didn't
> insert second '$'. It took time to figure out what is going on here (I
> use may be very tricky configuration, this is my 'custom' file:
> https://bitbucket.org/vp1981/scripts/src/22c5c79e07ef5b61e23cb910324d2a1de9e07108/config/emacs/custom-default.el?at=master&fileviewer=file-view-default
> ) and the only thing I discovered
> was that if 'latex-flymake.el' _has_ the above lines then
> 'LaTeX-mode-hook' has only two hooks (as I described above) but if I
> remove that lines then 'LaTeX-mode-hook' has these settings:
>
>   preview-mode-setup
>   (lambda nil (define-key TeX-mode-map "^C^T{" 'TeX-insert-braces))
>   (lambda nil (define-key LaTeX-mode-map (kbd "C-c C-a k")
> 'ebib-insert-bibtex-key))
>   (lambda nil (outline-minor-mode 1))
>   (lambda nil (TeX-fold-mode 1))
>   TeX-source-correlate-mode
>   turn-on-reftex
>   turn-on-auto-fill
>   LaTeX-math-mode
>   turn-on-cdlatex
>
> and these, except the first one, correspond to settings in 'custom'
> file. In modeline of buffer with LaTeX document I see
>
>   LaTeX/FMPS CDL Ref Outl Fill

I guess this is caused by latex-flymake.el getting required early on in the
process. If you replace

   (when (< 25 emacs-major-version)
     (add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook #'LaTeX-setup-flymake-backend))

With:

(when (< 25 emacs-major-version)
  (with-eval-after-load "latex"
    (add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook #'LaTeX-setup-flymake-backend)))

Does that solve your problem?

Thanks,
Alex