Re: [AUCTeX] 11.90.2.2017-07-25; TeX-search-files-by-type: No TeX trees

From: Ikumi Keita
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] 11.90.2.2017-07-25; TeX-search-files-by-type: No TeX trees available; configure ‘TeX-tree-roots’ error
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2017 03:18:55 +0900

Hi all,

It seems that this message was lost and didn't get to address@hidden  I
changed my email settings and am trying to send again.  Apologies in
advance in case that you receive this message twice.

>> I will elaborate the method to determine the path separator in AUCTeX.
>> Please wait for a while.

> What was the commit removing all that functionality intended to fix?

The previous auto-detect code was not entirely reliable.  There are some
cases that set `TeX-kpathsea-path-delimiter' to ":" where the right
value is ";".

See https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/auctex-devel/2017-09/msg00004.html

My intention is to sort out that problem, but my thought was short to
mess up things when cygwin is involved.  That's my fault.  I am sorry
about it.

> Why would there have been autodetection code in the first place if it
> would be sufficient to look at the system type?

It seemed at that time that it can be simplified in that way after all.
Shame on me.

>> Now I realized that AUCTeX has to be extremely careful when choosing
>> the path separator if it works on w32 platform.  It involves two
>> factors: Is Emacs w32 native application or cygwin application?  Is
>> kpsewhich w32 native application or cygwin application?

> The Emacs application type has nothing to do with the kpathsea
> separator.

Yes, of course.  The Emacs application type only comes into play when
it is intended to take the default value of
`TeX-kpathsea-path-delimiter' from `path-separator'.

Regards,
Ikumi Keita