Re: [AUCTeX] AUCTeX 11.91 released

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] AUCTeX 11.91 released
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2017 19:20:54 +0200

Mosè Giordano <address@hidden> writes:

>>> I don't see what may be the problem in ELPA, version number in
>>> auctex.el was changed correctly:
>>> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=emacs/elpa.git;a=commitdiff;h=32f71f606719eb000ae9eb613dcc700ae812ba68
>>
>> The last part of the diff obtained from the above link contains the
>> following lines for tex-site.el:
>>
>> -(defconst AUCTeX-version "11.90.2"
>> -  "AUCTeX version.
>> +(defconst AUCTeX-version "11.90.2.2017-07-25"
>> +    "AUCTeX version.
>>  If not a regular release, the date of the last change.")
>
> Yes, but I think this file is generated automatically, or not?  It is
> in vanilla AUCTeX.

Yeah, tex-site.el is generated from tex-site.el.in.  The latter contains

  (defconst AUCTeX-version "@AUCTEXVERSION@"

where the placeholder is replaced with the auctex release version which
is grabbed from the ChangeLog (which is in turn generated from the git
log).  However, that only happens when tex-site.el is older than
tex-site.el.in.

I think, this hasn't been the case this time because Stefan Monnier
modified tex-site.el in elpa (that is, externals/auctex) some time ago,
but I'm not sure since before the release I did cherry-pick this and two
other commits into master before merging that in externals/auctex...

I guess I just have to be more careful the next time.  I fixed the
version right now, but I guess that won't be packaged anew without
releasing a new version.

But I don't understand why tex-site.el is tracked in externals/auctex
when it can and will be generated anyhow if it's older that
tex-site.el.in?  In master, it is not tracked.  Stefan, can't we simply
delete it so that it'll always be generated and issues like this one
cannot occur anymore?

Bye,
Tassilo