Re: [AUCTeX] preview files conflicting

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] preview files conflicting
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2017 09:54:31 +0100

Carlos <address@hidden> writes:

> Which reproduced the following problem as it was posted years ago by
> this user at

> The only difference was the AucTeX installation. Whereas the user
> installed the pre-compiled auctex package, I on the other hand, went
> the ol' route and configured, made and installed everything. The
> results however, and not surprisingly were identical.

I'm not sure if I understood your question/problem correctly, so let me
restate it: Running configure script for AUCTeX installs LaTeX related
files for Preview in a way that your TeXlive gets upset.  If this is
correct, you can

a) Tell configure to install the files into your local texmf or home
   texmf tree (depending on your preference).  You can pass the value to
   configure with something like (untested):

   ./configure --other-opts \
     --with-texmf-dir=`kpsewhich -expand-var='$TEXMFLOCAL'`
   or

  ./configure --other-opts \
    --with-texmf-dir=`kpsewhich -expand-var='$TEXMFHOME'`

b) Gain even more controll by setting

   --with-tex-dir=/dir

   If you want to specify an exact directory for the preview TeX files,
   use --with-tex-dir=/dir.  In this case, the files will be placed in
   `/dir', and you’ll also need the following option:

  --with-doc-dir=/dir

   This option may be used to specify where the TeX documentation goes.
   It is to be used when you are using --with-tex-dir=/dir, but is
   normally not necessary otherwise.

I used method b) for a long time to install AUCTeX.

Check this link for the all options:

https://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/manual/auctex.html#Configure

Best, Arash