Re: [AUCTeX] more helpful error messages when not using LaTeX

From: jfbu
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] more helpful error messages when not using LaTeX
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2017 17:00:12 +0100

Le 26 janv. 2017 à 16:06, jfbu <address@hidden> a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> there was this thread
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-auctex/2015-10/msg00000.html
>
> on the bug tracker, I wish to add here a bit of additional
> experience.

> Is the problem due to the fact that one may have to extract
> from tex.web the original Knuth error messages ?
>
> because the whole thing is run with -interaction=nonstopmode hence
> AUCTeX must « own » its own database of help messages, those
> the user gets on typing H in interactive mode ?

Actually on double-checking:

the original error messages
with their help messages are there in the log file
when one uses -interaction=nonstopmode or scrollmode too.

Why then doesn't AUCTeX fetches them there ?

The Error Overview opens the possibility to go to the
log via "l". The additional error message is
usually one paragraph long and it says enough.

LaTeX is more verbose.

Best,

Jean-François