Re: [AUCTeX] [RFC] Do not distribute a package for Windows

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] [RFC] Do not distribute a package for Windows
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2017 19:49:04 +0100

Hi Mosè,

Mosè Giordano <address@hidden> writes:

>> I suggest that we also
>> emphasize more in the official documentation that ELPA is the preferred
>> way to go.  WDYT?
>
> The installation section of the manual starts with
>
>     The simplest way of installing AUCTeX is by using the Emacs package
> manager
>     integrated in Emacs 24 and greater (ELPA).
>
> and the description of the process takes more or less one other line.
> It looks pretty clear to me, but this isn't probably sufficient, since
> sometimes I see people in trouble trying to compile the package from
> source.  If you have ideas on how to improve it, please go ahead.

I think one point that may be confusing is your quote above from section
"1.2 Installing AUCTeX" and this part from "1.3 Quick Start":

  If AUCTeX is installed, you might still need to activate it, by
  inserting

  (load "auctex.el" nil t t)

  in your user init file.(1) If you’ve installed AUCTeX from the Emacs
  package manager (ELPA), you must not have this line in your user init
  file. The installation procedure already cares about loading AUCTeX
  correctly.

My suggestion is to have in "1.2 Installing AUCTeX" something like:

  The modern and strongly recommended way of installing AUCTeX is by
  using the Emacs package manager integrated in Emacs 24 and greater
  (ELPA) ... That’s all.  See section "1.3 Quick Start" for further
  instructions after this step.

Before I write some text: If I get it right, one can have
(package-initialize) in his .emacs and then the sentence from "1.3 Quick
Start" does not apply anymore.  Is this correct?

Best, Arash