Re: [AUCTeX] ConTeXt MkIV Support

From: Tobias Berndt
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] ConTeXt MkIV Support
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2016 12:27:07 +0000

Hello Joost,

On M

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Tobias Berndt
Technischer Redakteur

baramundi software AG
Beim Glaspalast 1
86153 Augsburg

address@hidden
www.baramundi.de

Fon: +49 (821) 5 67 08 -  577
Fax: +49 (821) 5 67 08 - 19

Vorstand: Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Uwe Beikirch | Dipl.-Kfm. Karl Scheid
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Dipl.-Ing. Univ. (TUM) Norbert Klump
Sitz und Registergericht: Augsburg, HRB-Nr. 2064 | USt-IdNr. DE 210294111
on, Sep 05 2016, Tobias Berndt wrote:
>> \startblabla
>> \startitem First \stopitem
>> \startitem Second \stopitem
>> \startitem Third \stopitem
>> \stopblabla
>
>>I'm sorry, but that's just horrible
> ... yes, it certainly is! But, you will use these all closing tags
> only if you want to have perfect XML output. In case, you just want to
> have perfect PDFs and standard (X)HTML, you would use simply:
>
>> \startblabla
>> \item First
>> \item Second
>> \item Third
>> \stopblabla

Then what's the difference between "perfect XML" and "standard (X)HTML"?
Isn't proper XHTML "perfect" enough?

And still, isn't the fact that a new \item appears enough reason to assume that
the previous \item should be closed off?

=> enough for TeX; obviously not for XML. After xml export is switched on,
automatically an export folder will be created while compiling. The folder
contains several files, e.g. a bla-raw.xml and bla-div.xhtm, bla-tag.xhtml (two
XHTMLs, structured in different ways). Compare XML and XHTML and you'll see
differences. Using a structured TeX file (startitem/stopitem &c.pp.) and you'll
see even more differences. But I am not an expert in web formats. For XML uses,
ConTeXt user group recommend these structured ways of coding, and I use it for
XML export. Just for PDFs, I am using the simple code (just \item and so
on)---that's it. Hence ...

But to require it everywhere?

=> noooo, again: It is NOT required anywhere! It is not even required  for XML
exports, but just recommended. It depends on complexity of your code: For
simple text design it won't be necessary probably; for more complex text
designs maybe it will be better to use it to get better (more similar) XML
counterparts to the resulting PDFs ... I don't know. If you're interested (at
least it seems so), just find it out, since ConTeXt is part of TeXlive or has a
small, powerful and most current standalone version at contextgarden.net. Maybe
you'll like it ...? ;)

Anyway, this discussion is veering off-topic...
=> Yes, a bit.

PEACE, UNITY, LIBERTY,
tobber

--