Re: [AUCTeX] raise-frame

From: Mosè Giordano
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] raise-frame
Date: Tue, 31 May 2016 12:36:20 +0200

Hi Tassilo,

> Mosè Giordano <address@hidden> writes:
>
> Hi Mosè,

>>> Really?  It doesn't work for me when being called by
>>> `TeX-source-correlate-sync-source'.  Emacs stays in the background here.
>>>
>>> But when I defer the call 1 second using
>>>
>>>   (run-at-time 1 nil
>>>    (lambda ()
>>>     (x-focus-frame (selected-frame))))
>>
>> `x-focus-frame' is available only from GNU Emacs 24.  I think you
>> should at least put a `fboundp' test before calling that function, if
>> `raise-frame' isn't an option at all.
>
> Yes, right.  If you want you can do that for me because I currently have
> no time to do it myself, just in case someone uses the Git version with
> Emacs < 23.

Sure, just done.

> Until now, I didn't receive replies on emacs-devel except for one
> suggesting to use an external tool (wmctrl) for forcing emacs to get the
> focus.  I'll wait a bit more but probably we might require some
> customize option here because if Emacs gets focus seems to depend on the
> window manager.  For me on Gnome, `raise-frame' works ok as I get a
> notification which I can click to bring emacs to the front.  For Carlos
> on XFCE, `x-focus-frame' works which doesn't work for me unless I call
> it from a timer.

In my Emacs configuration I use the raise-frame-client function
suggested in the patch attached to
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-auctex/2013-04/msg00004.html
that relies on wmctrl, but in my case (Debian) I had to manually
install that utility because it wasn't there by default, so I don't
think it's a good idea relying by default on such external tools that
aren't likely to be available.

Bye,
Mosè