Re: [AUCTeX] Embedded previews in high-DPI?

From: Mosè Giordano
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Embedded previews in high-DPI?
Date: Thu, 19 May 2016 12:19:34 +0200

Dear all,

I'm a bit confused about this question and I'd like to make it
clearer, also because I don't have experience with the reported
problem as I don't have a high-DPI screen.

The point is that on certain systems, OS X combined with the so-called
"Retina" display, preview images have wrong resolution, right?  If so,
the proposed patch fixes this problem, in this sense I don't see it as
a new feature that works only on proprietary systems, that is what FSF
guidelines discourage, but as a bug fix on a proprietary system, that
is definitely not forbidden.

On the other hand, one may argue that the patch adds a new feature,
namely support for high-DPI screens, which is actually a feature that
interests all operating systems, since one can install any operating
system on a computer with high-DPI screen, including on a Macbook
without invalidating hardware warranty.  My question is: did anyone
try to use preview-latex on a free operating system with a high-DPI
screen?  Does it work as expected?  If it works out-of-the-box, I see
again the patch as a bug fix, not a new feature, I don't know how it
could be seen otherwise in this case.

Anyway, my concern about the proposed patch is that we try to support
GNU Emacs and XEmacs.  It is compatible with GNU Emacs in the sense
that the patch can be applied, but in order to be installed in AUCTeX
I'd like it makes preview-latex work as expected on GNU Emacs as well
(sorry for not having being clear enough before).  Then we can discuss
if it's a new feature or a bug fix.

Bye,
Mosè