Re: [AUCTeX] Embedded previews in high-DPI?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Embedded previews in high-DPI?
Date: Thu, 19 May 2016 09:22:22 +0200

Konstantinos Theofilis <address@hidden> writes:

> I have been following the discussion with a lot of interest as
> High-DPI in embedded previews affects me too.
>

>> On May 19, 2016, at 2:11 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Your thoughts about my understanding are wrong but that doesn't really
>> matter.  OSX-only frameworks don't belong in GNU-maintained software.
>> So the "bad idea" may still be your best bet.  I've pointed out other
>> options.
>

> I have to respectfully disagree with that argument as I think it is
> fundamentally flawed. Emacs (which is obviously GNU-maintained
> software) does include Cocoa-specific code, which is an OS X-only
> framework.

It doesn't do anything the code for the other, particularly the free,
operating systems, doesn't do in equivalent ways.  Aquamacs, which does
more OSX-specific things, is a separate project not maintained by GNU.

> I cannot see why Mitsuharu’s suggestion contravenes with previously
> followed policy.

Feel free to ask Richard Stallman.

I've pointed out viable options that would fit within the GNU
maintenance guidelines.  Options that render the free operating systems
second-class choices aren't viable for a GNU project and will have to be
pursued outside the GNU umbrella.

This isn't a shouting match or a bazaar.  You can disagree all you want
with GNU policy, but as long as AUCTeX is a GNU project using GNU
resources and branding we are bound to follow the obligations coming
with it spelled out in the maintenance guidelines, in spirit even more
so than in letter.

You are always free to start your own non-GNU version on your own
resources, like Aquamacs did (and presumably even as part of the
Aquamacs effort).  This is Free Software.

--
David Kastrup