[AUCTeX] Prettify again

From: gojjoe
Subject: [AUCTeX] Prettify again
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2016 16:23:58 +0100

Dear All,

I have Emacs 24.5.1 (2015-04-11, Windows port) and AUCTeX 11.89.1 (2016-01-31), and prettify-mode does not work on a tex buffer. Even if I start Emacs with an empty init file.

Now, there have been several posts in the past (started by Uwe and Marcin) about prettify & AUCTeX. I've been re-reading them but am still a bit confused. Init-file-wise I tried some suggestions by Tassilo from those past posts, but they don't work; nor does disabling & reenabling prettify-mode and font-lock-fontify-buffer several times, as was also suggested.

Did I understand correctly that the problem should disappear with later AUCTeX versions? Or with later Emacs versions?

Thank you very much for any info!

PS: In case my motivation interests you: I happily use AUCTeX's Preview, so have never worried about Prettify so far. Recently some people tried to force me to use Lyx, and I'm resisting as much as I can. One of their points is that Lyx can show "pretty" mathematics on the fly, without the need to partially run latex on the file, unlike Preview. That's why I wanted to give a shot at Prettify.