Re: [AUCTeX] Snippet for tabular

From: Denis Bitouzé
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Snippet for tabular
Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 21:35:00 +0100

Le 29/02/16 à 21h20, Joost Kremers <address@hidden> a écrit :

> On Mon, Feb 29 2016, Denis Bitouzé wrote:
>> I just came across the following yasnippet (see
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/smart-snippet/8Og-1U5zJ2E/3aIMTNmwrKAJ):
> [...]
>> What's nice: you are able to specify the dimensions of the matrix and
>> the resulting template provides placeholders.
>>
>> What about similar feature provided by AUCTeX for e.g. tabulars?
>
> Why not implement such a feature with yasnippet?

That's what I am about to do.

> No reason why AUCTeX should provide its own template system if we
> already have yasnippet, is there?

I see at least 3 reasons for this:

1. This requires Yasnippet, not known by everybody.
2. Yasnippet doesn't provide templates for tabulars: the user has to
   create its own snippets by himself and, considering the elisp code
   I posted, that's not such an easy task (I wouldn't be able to do it
   by myself).
3. AUCTeX /does provide/ a (rather simple) template for tabulars:
  ┌────
  │ C-c C-e + tabu + TAB + RET + RET + llll + RET
  └────
   gives:
  ┌────
  │ \begin{tabular}{llll}